Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cigar Review: AVO 86th Anniversary La Trompeta

So last week I asked you, my readers, what cigars you had wanted to see reviewed and the one that was voted upon the most was the AVO 86th Anniversary La Trompeta! AVO released this cigar for its 86th birthday and this cigar is also a tip of the hat to Avo Uvezian's skill at being an acclaimed musician. We've seen an abundance of cleverly designed cigars lately and the La Trompeta is no exception. This cigar has three cigar leaf cutouts to represent the keys of a trumpet. But, how does this cigar smoke?



This cigar was 6 1/2X56 with an Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper, a Dominican Piloto binder and the long filler is comprised of Dominican and Peruvian leaf, and cost me close to $18. The construction felt tight and left me concerned that this cigar was going to have a tough draw; however, after cutting the cigar, I tested the draw and found it was a little firmer than I would have preferred, but not enough to distract from smoking. The wrapper of the cigar looked near immaculate and had almost no veining. The dense ash was almost white with small flecks of black and would cling for almost two inches each time before dropping.

Having had a bad day, I decided to take this cigar out to my front porch with my dog Odin and just enjoy it by myself with a Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout. Similar to the Illusione MJ12, immediately upon lighting I knew this would be a good, flavorful, cigar. I'm greeted with the bouquet of scents you would find in a greenhouse as the predominate flavor, a kind of mixture of flowers and grasses. Under this is a leathery pepper that subtly plays with the grass. About halfway through the draw opened up and with that came an almost woody flavor that flowed with a bit of the floral bouquet. However, toward the end, the grassy flavor of the greenhouse became more hay-like of the barn and I became less interested in its flavor.

This cigar, on a peaceful, warm, Colorado evening, was not too bad, but perhaps the choice of beer with this was not the best as they sometimes struggled with one another after swigs from the bottle. I also felt that the price tag for this cigar was a bit much for me, granted, I bought this off a private seller because the only place in town that carried them had sold out. This cigar took me close to three hours to smoke to the nub which, when just wanting to shut the world out and focus on the smoke swirling in the breeze, it did it's job pretty damn well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to Search?