Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Close, But No Cigar: Al Fakher's Cigar Flavored Shisha.

I tend to frequent my favorite hookah bar Algiers to indulge in the sinfully exotic Turkish delight of smoking shisha (pronounced sheeshuh), a blend of shredded tobaccos in either molasses, glycerin, or honey and flavoring. However, I also go to Algiers from time to time to smoke my cigars there. I enjoy the ambiance, the regulars, and the staff! Yesterday, John, the manager, is unloading their newest shipment of shisha and other supplies while I get ready to spoil myself with my new treat, CAO's La Triviata Maduro, when John hands me a container of Al Fakher's 'Cigar Flavour' shisha. I instantly quip "is this your subtle way of asking me not to smoke my cigars here anymore?" But in reality, I am instantly intrigued, so without skipping a beat, I am loaded a bowl of straight cigar flavoring, the hookah is prepared in front of me, and the final touch, the coals added to the bowl which sizzle with anticipation, as do I.



Now this cigar flavor, upon inspection while still in the tub, was nothing remarkable in comparison to most shishas, red, syrupy, and contained chunks of tobacco throughout. However, one thing did stand out clear as day: the smell. The pungent odor could only be described as a musky sour-like scent and not at all like any cigar I'd ever smelled. Ian, the person loading my bowl, comments that it smells exactly like his raw, fermenting, tobacco leaf that he grows. Ok, maybe there's some promise to this.



Now, upon first starting, this cigar flavor struck me instantly as sharing the same flavor profile as Al Fakher's Cardamom flavor, just not nearly as intense, which was the shared consensus of several bar staff and regulars. However, once the bowl really got going, there was an underlying earthy flavor that did step out for a little bit, but only for a little bit. Shortly after that, the watered-down cardamom returned in full swing and any hopes of a true cigar flavor were dashed. This cigar flavored shisha also failed to produce hookahs tell-tale dense white smoke, and instead, produced what could best be described as a flimsy fog like your breath on a cold day.

Overall, if you're looking for something fun and exotic, but want to stick with familiar flavors, 'Cigar Flavour' from Al Fakher will leave you wanting. The most that this cigar flavor was able to do was nearly replicate that "numb tongue" feeling of smoking a true cigar. My honest opinion, treat Al Fakher's 'Cigar Flavour' as nothing more than a watered-down Cardamom great for mixing with other flavors.

2 comments:

  1. Think returning to the first time you ever observed of cuban cigarettes. Ignore cuban cigarettes at your risk. Given that its impact permeates our community, it is yet to get appropriate identification for resting the fundamentals of democracy. habanos retailer

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post.



    Shisha Flavors

    ReplyDelete

Need to Search?