Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cigar Review: Montecristo Petit Tubos

Hey all, the Cigar Czar here. It’s been a week I tell you what. So, this review is gonna be done a little differently. There will still be flavor and construction notes as before, but there’s going to be a little more of what was being done while smoking the cigar. I’m also gonna reveal a little more about myself throughout these. For starters my lack of reviews for this week is mostly due to things I’m trying to get situated for my personal and professional life.

Today’s review is the Montecristo Petit Tubos. This was a cigar I’ve held onto for a little over three years. It was given to me by a, now ex, girlfriend. There were questions whether or not this was genuine since it was purchased in Mexico. Although verifying with my Habano Reference ‘Cigar Dave’ over at the Valencia Cigar Lounge (ValenciaCigarLounge.com), and cross referencing with Cigar Aficionado’s Counterfeit Gallery (cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Counterfeits/Counterfeit_Gallery/0,3390,,00.html), it seemed to come to consensus that it was the real deal. I had been saving it for the right occasion, that occasion was Sunday night.

I had joined my neighbors in a nice night of food, wine, music and of course smoking. Now, not all people involved enjoyed cigars, so I made a hookah for them, my buddy Mike though, he opted for the Partagas Black Label, and I enjoyed my Habano.

This cigar is exactly as the Montecristo #4, but instead of being a box press cigar, it’s typically sold in 3 or 5 cigar packs in tubes, hence the Tubos. It is not as dark as the typical Habano, with a natural wrapper that was very well done and showed little vein. Seeing as how this was a triple cap Habano, it was not cut, but bit off, and came clean off perfectly without damaging the cigar. The draw was impeccable and the cigar burned dead even. The only thing I would say was that the ash did not cling for very long.

Smoking this cigar was even more fun! It was enjoyed while occasionally taking a pull from the hookah and drinking a nice Pinot Noir. While listening to acoustic versions of Damien Rice and lighting the cigar, I noticed it also had a spicy punch, but became creamy smooth towards the end. It had a fantastic aroma that was very sweet and clung in a discrete, yet tasty way. Notes of Vanilla, Coffee, Nut and a hint of Chocolate wafted amongst the notes strummed from the acoustic guitar being passed around.

Overall this was a fantastic cigar that went very well with the surroundings, didn’t smoke for a terribly long time, but I got a good 45 minutes out of this, perfect for the wine, burgers and music, but most importantly, the company. I would definitely recommend investing in getting some of these cigars. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to Search?